How to fly drones in non-controlled airspace?

If you are an RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft System) operator licensed by AESA and you want to fly in uncontrolled airspace, outside of aerodrome Flight Information Zones (FIZs), Aerodrome Transit Zones (ATZs) and restricted or prohibited zones, there are certain operations which must be managed through ENAIRE:

  • Specialised air operations for RPAS weighing up to 150kg, involving BVLOS flights
  • Experimental flights for RPAS weighing up to 150kg, involving EVLOS/BVLOS flights
  • BVLOS flights above 60 m AGL in STS-ES02 national standard scenario for specific category.
  • Flights under a specific category whose operational authorization or LUC (light UAS operator certificate) issued by the State of registration, require NOTAM or TSA.

In cases where you plan to fly the drone within their safety zones you must coordinate the operation with all the relevant aerodromes and heliports, as indicated in Article 45 of Royal Decree 1180/2018. In aerodromes within the Aena Network contact the airport to coordinate the operation following the EXA80 procedure (further information in ENAIRE Drones).

If you have coordinated and have everything required, you can request the Airspace Operations Coordination Department (known as COP in Spanish) to fly your drone by means of the ENAIRE Planea, providing all the details of the operation, the date and the precise location. They will then inform you of the conditions and requirements you must comply with.

Instructions on how to fill in the form can be found in the following link.

IMPORTANT: Bear in mind that there may be other activity that can affect your operation; check the NOTAM in force before your flight.

Remember, drones are not a game, they are aircraft; fly safely!

Visit the AESA drones website for more information.